May 03, 2004

things I'm not ashamed to admit... but probably should be

1. I sucked my thumb until I was 10. Twenty years, a set of braces and a retainer later, I've kicked the habit but still sleep with a security blanket (my woobie). Next to habitual lateness and consuming mass quantities of Belgian beer (mmm... Hoegaarden), it's really my only vice and I don't plan on kicking it any time soon.

2. I am completely caught up in the intrigue and drama of The Real World, Road Rules and joy of all joys, the Real World/Road Rules Challenge. Do not disturb me when these programs are on even if it's a repeat. Seriously... don't.

3. I am not theatrically trained -- nor a gay man -- but I can sing Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods and Sunday in the Park with George note for note. I do admit that some showtunes really do suck. As a matter of fact, Andrew Lloyd Webber is a complete and total wanker.

4. I have an irrational fear of mayonnaise. Given the choice between Hellmann's and Chinese water torture, I'll take the latter, thank you very much. If you come to my home and fancy you some sandwich spread, BYO-Miracle Whip. When I am tooling around in someone else's fridge, I will not even touch the jar. If I want pickles or some other item unfortunately situated behind the mayo, I'll use another bottle or jar to push the offending condiment out of the way until my mission is complete. There are many people who share my aversion to the white slime -- see for yourself.

5. I've read Star Wars fan fiction... and liked it. I also went to the rereleases of the three original films at the Ziegfeld Theater and knowingly giggled at all of the unintentional innuendo.

6. I recently broke the towel rod in my bathroom. That in and of itself is not shameful but the way it snapped in half most certainly is -- two words: iron cross.

7. I had a major crush on Bobby Vinton as a child. Ain't nothin' hotter than a poodle-permed, polyester-clad man singing polka tunes. I also had the hots for Skip from Real People and the Professor from Gilligan's Island was no slouch either. Now I'm no shrink but I think it's safe to say that my preference for goofy, non-threatening men with zero sex appeal as a child was an early indicator of my Sapphic proclivities. To further prove my point, I also loved me some Fred from Scooby Doo (an ascot, hellooo?!?!) and Alan from Josie and the Pussycats. You do the math...