August 05, 2004

on vending machine etiquette and petty larceny

I'm dying for a Diet Coke and perhaps some salty potato chips. I just walked by the pantry to get some but the man is there filling the vending machine. I took one look at him and kept walking. What is the social rule for this? Is it okay to disturb him and make a purchase while he's stuffing candy in the machine? I know that I don't like it when people watch me work so my tendency is to slink away and let others do their job in peace. I used to do the same thing with the postal carrier -- I waited until he or she was a few doors down before I went to retrieve the mail. It doesn't really apply anymore since I live in apartment building and have never even seen the mailman but if I do bump into him or her, I'm sure I'll wait a certain amount of time before unlocking my mailbox.

Social retardation aside, I also wanted to avoid the vending machine guy because my coworkers and I pillaged the machine a couple of weeks back. He forgot to lock it and well... there was looting. I know it's wrong but I have to say that stolen Reese's Peanut Butter Cups taste a lot better than paid-for ones. Mmm...stolen candy. I'm tempted to go back there and pick the lock...